From the moment your little one enters the world, life changes forever.
And with motherhood, starts an array of decisions and questions.
One of them being, “At what age should I get my baby photoshoot done?”
Should I wait till my baby is able to sit up or should I go ahead with a newborn baby photoshoot? And if it is a newborn baby photoshoot then exactly when should I plan for it?
Contrary to the popular belief that you should get your newborn baby photoshoot done within the first 15 days of the baby being born, there are a lot of factors that you need to consider when planning your child’s first photo session, and age restriction doesn’t cover most of it.
These are some of the factors you need to take into consideration while getting your baby photoshoot:
- Are you physically able to get out of the house within the first 15 days?
- Do traditions and cultural forces or even the protective love of your elders permit you to leave the home within the first 15 days?
- Have you actually found the right baby photographer whom you can trust with your life’s most precious memories?
- And, most importantly, are you and your baby absolutely relaxed and comfortable during the shoot?
If your answer is a resounding Yes, for all these questions then amazing. In that case, if there’s nothing stopping you, get your baby’s first photoshoot done within the first 15 days. Because that’s the time when:
- The baby is still in that womblike mode so they are comfortable being wrapped up and curled up for the newborn baby poses.
- Babies sleep a lot and sleep well around sounds and conversations and commotion without much problem.
- Issues such as skin peeling, baby acne and colic etc that usually set in by around the 15th day, haven’t come into action just yet.
- Also, chances are higher to capture that inimitable smile of your little one while they are asleep. That shot I tell you is gold! And you will always, always treasure it.
So if you’re holding back on getting a baby photoshoot, don’t.
Now, having said all that… even if your baby is over 15 days old and you find yourself asking, “Is it too late for a baby photoshoot if my newborn is over 15 days old?” The answer is NO.
Here’s a 2 month old baby I photographed:
If you want to wait for your baby’s features to develop and want them to be more aware of their surroundings during the shoot, the age of 1-2 months is perfect.
I have photographed children over 3 months too in newborn poses.
With an experienced newborn baby photographer, who has the knowledge and the patience to photograph slightly older babies, you are in safe hands. Please make sure to find a photographer who is:
- Experienced and has photographed a lot of babies from varied age groups,
- Is properly trained in doing newborn baby photography because not just anyone should be allowed to hold your baby and do whatever they like in the name of posing them. It is really not safe.
- It helps if the photographer is experienced as baby photoshoot outfits and flawless baby photography is essential.
- Also, most importantly, find a photographer who is unique. Whose style of photography is nothing like anyone else’s. Because your baby is unique and deserves the absolute best.
The newborn photography market is cluttered with so many photographers these days and when you go looking at those images you can’t distinguish one image from the other. It will all look the same. Find someone, who will customize the shoot to your unique story. Find a storytelling photographer.
If you’re looking for an album of stories, the best way to ensure you capture every milestone is to get an annual family photoshoot. It reveals the growth and development of the tiny human and captures the journey of you as parents and mentors to them for the rest of their lives.
It will also serve as a reminder of the warmth and blooming triumph they brought into your life.
However, Your baby’s first photoshoot will always be very very special, timeless and the most precious gift you can pass on to them. It is PRICELESS. Find a photographer who values that feeling.
Remember, it’s the memories that matter.
Contact me and we can set up a photoshoot for your little one.
Also, check out my another interesting blog: Whosoever says that newborns must only be under 15 days old for the photoshoot is wrong
Hi! My name is Sujata Setia from But Natural Photography. I’m based in the UK. I’m a professional photographer and have won many awards for what I do. I have also been teaching the art of photography for more than 8 years now. Some of my recognition includes being published in Forbes, The Daily Mail and, Vanity Fair amongst others. The journey with my camera started when I had my daughter Aayat, and I have never put it down since. It helps me to capture the right moment so you can cherish it forever, and my services to deliver perfection to you knows no bounds, no distance, and no obstacles. People come to me to make a pitstop of their life a milestone so I’m willing to dedicate the time and effort it takes to understand the very essence of the family; to make every moment I capture is timeless.